dimecres, de gener 16, 2008

New York City Lights

When I was a kid I used to spend hours looking at pictures of cities at night, not plain pictures of cities at the night time, but pictures where the glow of the city lights was the main object. I remember how my mouth would open involuntary while I was looking at those pictures and how momma would shout me out loud from the kitchen to have supper. Many times, I did not even hear her shouts, as deeply stuck on those images as I was. Among all the cities I knew from the pictures I had, one kept comig to my mind constantly. What I was doing didn't matter, it made no difference if I was playing football or at the movies, any time the memory of a city I had seen in some of my pictures could suddenly come and make me smile. Every night I would go to sleep forcing myself to imaginate how it would be in real life. As you probably have already guess, I'm talking about New York City and its night lights. Years after, my dream came true and I remember me standing still, holding breath when, for the first time in my life, I could personally admire Times Square right from the crossing between 42nd Street and Broadway. For me, greatness of cities in any way depends on the way its people are, neither on how big or modern they are, but only on the intensity of its light's glow. I don't need no one by my side, I don't need much money in my pocket or some purpose in my agenda, the only thing I really need to feel safe is to be able to walk under the New York City lights.